Our Story

Warwick & District, part of the Southern Downs Regional local government area, has a population of approximately 21,000 people and encompasses the towns of Allora and Killarney.  Warwick itself is situated some 70 kilometers from Toowoomba and 170 kilometers west of Brisbane and is affectionately known as the Rose and Rodeo Capital.

The Warwick Benevolent Society was founded in 1876 and is a non-denominational body.  The objects of the Society at that time were principally to afford relief in cases of distress and sickness to those that could not be sent to hospital.  It has therefore been over 130 years that people from the local community, in a voluntary capacity, have been serving the community through their work with the Society.

The Society’s first residential facility was Mill House, which was converted into accommodation for 12 aged ladies.  This was in 1915, so it was understandable that in 1967, instead of undertaking major repairs, renovations or extensions, it was decided to replace Mill House with a modern new facility.

The first stage of Akooramak, a 30 unit complex with associated facilities, was completed and opened in May 1972 on the Wood Street site.  An additional 12 units were completed in 1978.  A further 30 bed high care wing was constructed and opened in March 1982.

The Society became an Incorporated body on 2 January 1989, and remains a ‘not for profit’, charitable, independent and non-denominational organisation overseen by a Management Committee with day to day administration by a Chief Executive Officer.  

The Warwick Benevolent Society Inc also maintains registration as a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) or registered Charity, and as such, all donations to the Society’s Gift Fund of $2.00 or more are fully Tax Deductible.  

The Society commenced the provision of Community Aged Care Packages (CACPs) in August 1995 to 10 recipients.  This service was extended to an additional 6 recipients in July 1997.  The service provides low level care and support services to clients in their own homes.  The Society was approved for and commenced the provision of Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) services in February 2011.

It was demonstrated that there was a significant community need for a purpose built facility for those people living with dementia.  Therefore the Society constructed and opened a purpose built stand-alone secure dementia care facility 1999 for the care of 14 residents.  This facility won the “Excellence in Care Team Award 2001” at the annual ACQI State Conference.  Following further demand a second 14 bed secure dementia care wing was designed, constructed and opened in early 2008.

Following the completion of additional construction and renovation works in 2009 the Society now provides residential care to 98 permanent residents, residential care of 2 places, and home care (CACPs and EACH) to 16 clients.  The majority of residential care places are in single ensuited rooms, and a philosophy of “ageing in place” is engendered.

The residential care services provided by the Society has achieved and maintained Accreditation with the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency, and our Home Care services have successfully undergone Quality Reporting.

Each of the significant areas of the residential care facility have been named in recognition of the Society’s life members:  Esme & Ken McCulloch, Les & Millie Northway, Hilda Bryant, and Bernice McKillop, together with long time Honorary Administrator/Treasurer ‘Bin’ Bromley.